1. Winning an award. I won my fourth American Inhouse Design Award from Graphic Design USA Magazine, for the news magazine I produce at UNC.
2. Launching a healthy living blog. In July I launched my new blog, which focuses on women’s health and fitness. It is a project and a subject that I am passionate about. But it’s also a tool that is helping me expand on my professional knowledge. This project has enabled me to learn even more about developing WordPress-based websites, creating multimedia, working with advertisers, and content publishing and distribution.
3. Attending BlogHer ’12 in New York City. This is a huge annual conference for bloggers, and the experience was incredible. I attended several workshops in areas I have an interest in, including media relations, working with brands, and content development. I made connections with other bloggers from around the world. And, I got to hear outstanding keynotes by Katie Couric and Martha Stewart, who relayed some great tips for success in business and in life. I can’t wait for the next conference.
4. Learning video production. While I’ve been using video in my communications projects for a few years at UNC, this year I really got to dig in and learn how to shoot and edit videos myself — something I’d been wanting to do for a long time. And not only that, but I got up the nerve to star in a couple for my blog and even started a new YouTube channel. I’m looking forward to continuing to learn, and to doing a lot more with video.
5. Working with a new client. This year I welcomed a new client — Practically Speaking, a consultant’s new venture — and created a logo and an awesome website for them.
2013 is already shaping up to be another busy year, and I’m excited about continuing my professional development and the projects to come.